Renner Logo. World famous piano actions, piano action parts and piano hammers.
Renner USA Piano Action Parts and Tools

Phone: 480.575.1700
Contact Us

Renner Piano Hammerheads

Special Features of the Renner Blue Point and Premium Blue Hammerheads

Hammer Felt

The special hammer felt used in the Renner hammer is produced by the Würzen Felt Company, in the former East Germany, which supplied vintage Steinway and other quality pianos their special hammer felt for over 100 years. The felt became unavailable for several decades following World War II, during the Russian occupation, and became available again with the reunification of Germany. It continues to be the finest hammer felt produced in the world, resulting in the widest possible harmonic and dynamic tonal range with a minimum of voicing required.

Hammer Molding

The molding used in the Renner Premium Blue and Blue Point hammers is a special species of Walnut wood, grown in Germany. It is carefully selected for its uniform, lighter weight, and responsiveness. It is aged naturally, prior to final conditioning, to assure long term stability and performance in different climatic environments.

Renner Compression Clasp

Each of our hammerheads incorporates the exclusive Renner T-Clasp™ to maintain the desired felt tension and even weight distribution within each hammer. This unique clasp is made from a proprietary, surface-coated, hardened steel, which is used to lock the felt to the base of the molding without damaging individual felt fibers. To assure uniformity, each clasp is optically sorted and matched by computer to assure the correct dimensions and alignment of the stems. The clasps are then inserted electronically into each hammerhead, one-at-a-time, applying equal pressure to both sides of the hammerhead, to assure uniform tension and perfect centering and alignment of each clasp. Each hammerhead is then hand inspected individually to assure absolute perfection.

Hammerhead Presses

Our unique hammerhead presses allow for the perfect centering of the outer and under felt on the hammer molding, with special sensors controlling the amount of pressure and temperature applied to each individual hammer across the scale. This protects the structure and integrity of the felt during the pressing process, and results in the optimum tension and responsiveness of each individual hammer.

Selecting Replacement Hammers

The grand hammers are made in 3 basic weights, with an additional weight in the Hamburg Collection, and 2 boring sizes which will fit 80% of the pianos you are likely to encounter. 3 universal sizes are also available, which can be custom bored, shaped, and tailed, for the remaining 20% of the grand pianos. See the chart below for specifics.
Photo: Renner Blue Point and Premium Blue Piano Hammerheads
Renner Premium Blue Grand Piano Hammerhead Specifications
Renner Grand Piano Universal Molding Specifications

Grand Piano Hammers

Renner Piano Grand Piano Hammers to-scale diagrams
Renner Piano Grand Piano Hammers to-scale diagrams

Upright Piano Hammers

Renner Piano Upright Piano Hammers to-scale diagrams

Renner Hammer Services

Renner USA offers a wide array of custom hammer technical services which include: custom hammerhead boring, pre-filing and pre-voicing the hammers, and hanging the hammers to the original factory specifications and precision. Learn More about Renner Piano Hammer Services.

Company Information

About Renner USA

Privacy Policy

Contact Us

Phone Number: 480.575.1700
Send a Note
Business Hours:
8 a.m. – 3 p.m. Mon – Fri, AZ time

Renner USA
Administration Office

P.O. Box 3440
Carefree, Arizona 85377

Renner USA Warehouse
and Technical Shop

7755 E Redfield Road
Suite 200
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Follow Us!

Visit Us On FacebookVisit Us On TwitterVisit Us On LinkedinVisit Us On YoutubeVisit Us On Instagram

Copyright 2023 Renner USA - Site by Pixels With Purpose